Sunday, February 18, 2007

Introduction

Welcome to the first post of my blog! This blog will be primarily geared toward Christians who hold a biblical worldview (hence the name "Activism by the Book"). The "activism" part is because my goal is to equip and encourage biblical Christians (and other like-minded individuals) to become actively involved in the civic arena.

There seems to be a growing sentiment these days that it is wrong for Christians to express their beliefs in the public square, and wrong for Christian politicians to let their beliefs influence how they vote on bills. This is fueled to a large degree by the ACLU, Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, and the mistaken notion that the Constitution actually contains the phrase "separation of church and state" (it doesn't). We have gone from our founders' desire to merely prevent the federal government from establishing a national denomination, like England had, to a country where it is thought to be wrong to have the Ten Commandments posted in a government building, wrong to allow student-led prayer before graduation or a football game, and wrong to have a cross on public property.

Anyway, I want to touch on the contention by some that it is wrong for Christian politicians to let their beliefs influence their decisions. I'm sure you have heard politicians say, "I personally feel abortion is wrong, but I don't feel I have the right to impose my morality on others". What nonsense!

First of all, if your faith isn't a big enough part of your life that it influences your decisions on issues, then it is probably inconsequential to you. Second, using the abortion example, try substituting other words for abortion. How about, "I personally feel murder is wrong, but I don't feel I have the right to impose my morality on others"? That argument quickly falls apart. Third, everyone has a worldview. A person's theological beliefs (what they believe about God) are the foundation of their worldview, and influence every other area. Have you ever heard someone suggest that an atheist should check their beliefs at the door? Of course not! Their theological beliefs influence their decisions. (Almost no politician would admit to being an atheist, but for all practical purposes that is how many of them live their lives--they are what has been called "practical atheists".)

Well, I think I have given you enough for the introductory post. I'm hopeful I have at least started you thinking that perhaps it is ok to bring a biblical worldview into the public square. In future posts, I will try to flesh this out, and provide more reasons why Christians should be more involved in politics. In addition, I will try to keep you up to date on proposed legislation on social issues in your government (primarily State of Iowa, but also the federal government to some extent), as well as what is going on in the culture--e.g., religious liberties being lost, etc.

One quick note, in case you decide to post a response on this blog. You are free to express whatever opinion you like, I only ask that you keep the language clean. I would like to keep this site G-rated.

Thank you, and enjoy the blog!

No comments: